10-Minute Takeaway: OT & PT Experiences Using Nature-Based Rehabilitation
My 10-Minute Takeaway series is back, and I’m diving into a recently published article on the effect of using nature-based rehabilitation on adults. While my practice is primarily for pediatrics, seeing an article like this in a major journal is so exciting, because it might mean that nature-based therapy is becoming more mainstream.
In today’s episode, I’m diving into this article and sharing my biggest take-aways including further affirmation for the theory of nature-based therapy, previous studies down laying the ground-work for incorporating nature into therapy, and why we need a solid framework to inform our practice, especially in pediatric-nature based therapy.
- Why I’m so excited to see a new nature-based therapy study
- Previous articles which explored adding nature into the therapy process
- How nature can help clients on four different dimensions related to OT
- How time in nature led to clients enjoying therapy more than previous sessions
- Why it’s so important to have a therapeutic rationale and framework in nature-based work and especially for pediatric clients
- Why I’m so passionate about my nature-based framework and why more frameworks are needed
Resources from this episode:
Article from this episode: Occupational therapists and physiotherapists experiences of using nature-based rehabilitation
Ulrich article: View through a window may influence recovery from surgery
Ronan Berger’s article: Theory and Practice of Nature Therapy
Wilcock & Hocking (2015) An Occupational Perspective of Health, 3rd edition. Published by SLACK.
Are you a pediatric therapist interested in taking your work with children out into nature? Join the waitlist for the ConTiGO Approach Online Course.
If you're ready to take the next step in this adventure, join the free TGO community, a private space just for nature based pediatric practitioners to support you as you start or grow a nature based practice or program.
Download my free guide The Nature-Based Practice ROADMAP to help you start or grow your nature-based pediatric therapy practice.
If you’re serious about taking your nature-based practice to the next level, come join the Business Bedrocks Group Coaching Program in The Business Hive.