Listener Q & A: Work/Life Balance, Business Start-Up, & Best Early Marketing Strategies
Running a nature-based therapy practice is about more than the therapy itself. From knowing what’s needed to get started to how to market your business to making sure you’re taking time for yourself, there’s a lot that goes into running a business.
In this episode, I answer your listener questions about the behind-the-scenes aspect of business. I share what work/life balance looks like both in early and later stages of a business, why I love what I do, and the importance of not letting yourself get burnt out. I also talk about strategies and decisions around whether or not to open an LLC and marketing strategies that I recommend if you’re just starting out in your business.
- How a recent OT retreat solidified for me the impact of nature-based therapy and the importance of community to the growth and transformation of nature-based practices
- An update on my current work life
- How to navigate work/life balance in the first few years as a business owner and how that balance is different for everyone
- The prevalence of burnout and knowing when you need physical and mental rest
- The importance of having support in your business so you can focus on the work you love
- What helps me stay sane in running multiple businesses
- Whether and when to consider sole proprietor, LLC, or S-corp for your business
- Important decisions to make before opening an LLC or S-corp
- The most helpful marketing strategy for me when I first started my business and what I recommend now
- How email marketing can help you gain a wide potential client base
- Why in-person marketing and word of mouth is so successful
Resources from this episode:
If you're ready to take the next step in this adventure, join our free Therapy in the Great Outdoors Community at therapyinthegreatoutdoors.com. The TGO community is a private space just for nature based pediatric practitioners. We have loads of resources there to support you as you start or grow a nature based practice or program.
If you’re serious about taking your nature-based practice to the next level, come join the Business Bedrocks Group Coaching Program in The Business Hive. You'll get clarity & confidence to grow a profitable and personally fulfilling business that runs on auto-pilot as much as possible.
For even more resources, check out The Therapy in the Great Outdoors (TGO) Library, a proven toolkit for no-stress nature-based treatment planning.
Are you a pediatric therapist interested in taking your work with children out into nature? The ConTiGO Approach Online Course will open for registration soon: visit www.ConTiGOapproach.com to join the waitlist.
If you have questions that come up as you’re listening to the podcast, feel free to reply to my Instagram stories when I put out a listener Q&A callout, or DM me @lauraparkfig or @outdoorkidsot. I’ll feature your questions in a future Listener Q & A episode.